If you’re noticing a little “extra love” around your midsection, here are some suggestions to get your core toned and tight.
- Walk: Walking is the easiest way to burn fat around the midsection. Purchase a good pair of walking shoes with excellent arch support and walk on different types of terrain such as asphalt, grass, sand and dirt. Make sure you walk at least one hour each day for maximum results. Try walking instead of driving when running errands.
- Jog or Run: Jogging or running provides faster results than walking, but is harder for some people to commit to, and harder on the connective tissue and joints. Even if you jog or run around the block once a day, you will see results within one week. Again, choose the proper footwear to support your arches and protect your ankles, knees and hips from strains and injury.
- Bicycle: Cycling tones the lower body while improving overall circulation. Even if you only do it once a week, pedal for a period of at least one hour for best results. Make sure your bike is the right height for you, and wear protective gear if riding in traffic.
- Crunches: Everybody knows that in order to achieve a flat, tight belly, you must do crunches; and it seems that this is almost everyone’s least favorite exercise. The best way to attack those crunches is to just DO them (make sure you’ve stretched and warmed up first). Start with 2 sets of 15 reps the first week, then gradually increase the reps until you’re up to 100 per set. Results are instantly visible after 3 or 4 sets.
- Swimming: An excellent total body workout, swimming not only tightens and tones the core, but works on the extremities and lateral muscles which are hard to target via other exercises. One or two hours a week is sufficient to produce dramatic results visible within the first month.